Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It's Conceivable: The Path to Parenthood Isn't Always Straight

 It's Conceivable is a new GLBT parenting website that I'm really excited about.  Their content is smart, funny and most importantly, useful.  As far as I can tell, they are the only game in town when it comes to this kind of information and I'm eager to see where it goes.

Here is some information from their About page to give you a flavor for what they are doing.

About Us

Despite the snail-like pace of decent laws and protections, the reality is gays and lesbians are having babies and starting families. It costs a lot of money. It takes time and planning (as much as we wish hopping into bed and f&%#ing like rabbits for a couple months worked – it doesn’t). And it means making some difficult decisions (Is this stranger’s profile right for supplying one half of our child’s genome sequence?).
We started It’s Conceivable to centralize the information we wanted from a parenting website. We’re here to provide clear, no frills, pregnancy and parenting information to the GLBTQ community. Our motto: Less rainbows, more advice.

What ELSE:

We have straight friends – and gay friends.
We’re just trying to get through the commute.
We do get upset over anti-gay politicians, proposals, and political maneuvers in general.
We don’t get upset if we see a phallic sculpture in our straight friends’ homes.
We want gays to be able to start a family without winning the state lotto, hijacking the sperm of male friends, or potentially attempting insurance fraud.



Another reason that I'm excited about It's Conceivable it that, I'm their newest blogger!  How cool is that?!  I even talked them into letting me use a pen name (because who wouldn't want a pen name if they could have one?), so I now also answer to the name Alison Armstrong.  In addition to my blog which is called Both Sides Now and will focus on gender and parenting, there are a number of other interesting voices:


A gay Dad working on #2 via Indian adoption
A single lady in her 30's with aging eggs
A Mother of twins
A non-bio Mom surviving a twin pregnancy
So, I hope you will check it out and support their efforts.  I think they are doing really good work.  I also hope you will read my recent post and (pretty please) leave a comment to let me know you stopped by.  

2 comments:

I now know what I will be doing with the rest of my afternoon! So much to read, so many blogs to peruse! Thank you!

Cool! Congratulations on the new writing gig!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More