Sunday, February 28, 2010

Happy Days are Here Again

So far I am loving the second trimester!  I feel like I have my wife back.  From about this time last year, she has been under the influence of a crazy hormone cocktail.  The progesterone, which was the last to go, finally ended two weeks ago and I think that has made a tremendous difference.

Now that life at our house is more emotionally stable, I am ready for her to start showing.  When does this happen?!!  We are 13 weeks and 3 days and she looks just like she always has.  She has a bit more booty than usual, but otherwise it's impossible to know that anything is different.  In fact, when we tell people that haven't heard all of the backstory they always look from one to the other of us in confusion until I can get out "It's her.  She's the one that's pregnant."  I don't want her to be uncomfortable, but I am ready for the baby belly.

During the last week I have become obsessed with gathering parenting information.  Strategies, approaches, that kind of thing.  I figure I won't have much time for reading once Bean arrives, so I'd like to gather as much information as I can while I've got the time.  At this point, I'm eager to read something from each of the major perspectives.  I want to get a sense of what the story is from each, so that we can create something that will work for us.  The first stumbling block is boiling down the HUGE mountain of parenting information down into it's fundamental parts.  Can anyone help with language here?  I just don't know what the labels are, so I'm having trouble wading through.  I can tell that one of the perspectives is Attachment Parenting, but I'm unsure about the others.  Ideas?  Thoughts?  Book suggestions?  I would love to hear ANYTHING you all have to share.

3 comments:

I didn't start showing for awhile! This is what I looked like at 20 weeks - I was so sad!
http://picasaweb.google.com/jessiemortimer/PREGNANCY#5287545515055140642

My wife didn't "pop" until around 23 weeks. It's really different for everyone though.

Its great to read up on the different parenting perspectives, but you know, when your baby is here...you're just going to do what works, regardless of who recommends it or not. One book I would absolutely recommend is The Happiest Baby on the Block. The methods described there are gold for the first 3 months.

my thoughts would be to go back to the basics and read the theories by theoreticians as they came out, like erikson and mahler and piaget and then when you read the new-fangled books you'll be able to put them in a framework. If your mind is like my mind, it's really helpful to seek comfort in a theoretical background when someone is screaming at you. Granted my someones are 12 years old and your someone will be 12 days old . . . but it's actually all the same.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More