Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Creating a Registry is Enough To Kill a Person

My head is still spinning.

This is a task we have been avoiding as long as possible.  Yesterday all of that avoidance came to an end.  A very patient friend who recently had her own baby agreed to meet us at Babies R Us and help us wade through all of the baby-ness.  Wow.  Not fun.  Not fun at all.

The first issue is that I am not a shopper.  The activity itself isn't enjoyable and the accumulation of lots and lots of stuff is anxiety-inducing.  The second issue is that it's hard for me to make decisions when I don't have the information that I need to make the decision.  How you can buy baby paraphernalia when you've never actually had a baby, I don't understand.  This shit is expensive and I don't want to waste money on the wrong pump/stroller/monitor/whatever.  My wife has convinced me that we can't just hang out with Bean for a while until we get a feel for the whole Mom gig before we buy anything.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.  This is why it was fabulous that our friend was willing to brave Babies R Us with us.  She was almost like a translator and I needed a translator.

The good news is that we've got the bones of the registry together (still a few things we need to think about) and I'm alive to tell the tale.

4 comments:

oh my god it is SOOOOOOOOOO exhausting!

Totally exhausting. Before we went I made a list of what at minimum it would take to keep baby and mama alive and comfortable in the first two months of life. With that list, I headed over to a dozen or so websites and researched the options and made decisions. I can't tell you how much easier that made everything- that and like you, taking an experienced mother/nurse.

I thought it would be fun...I was wrong ;-)

My suggestion is to do some online registry. You can read all the other parents product reviews and edit everything online. I found this was far less overwhelming for me and it saved me the hell of going into the store. When we go in to make purchases i usually check out the things I registered for online and decide if i like the way they look in person or not. I edit online regularly.

Congrats on getting that crossed off the list, its a big one.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More