Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 5 - Happy Birthday

What do you prefer to do on your birthday? If you have children, what do you prefer to do for their birthday?

I love a celebration.  I am almost always looking for an excuse.  My wife tells people that I celebrate Tuesday.  Until she met me, my wife was an ardent non-celebrator.  It was a very serious stance.  These days, I've gotten her to move a little bit in my direction.  We were able to have a wedding after all.

My birthday is in February and I if I had it my way I would have a month long celebration.  No actual party, but lots of small dinner parties/restaurant evenings out with friends and family.  A shared meal and intimate conversation.

Yogi has yet to have a birthday, but I'm looking forward to the big day.  I'm imagining a small family and friends party for the first year and that will be fun.  What I'm really looking forward to is finding out what he's into and fashioning a celebration around that.  I can't wait for pirate parties or Thomas the Train parties or even Princess parties.  Whatever it is that he's excited about.  I also like the idea of allowing him to create the menu for breakfast or dinner on August 15th each year.  Whatever he wants is what we'll be eating.  My wife and I have also talked about having a kind of family outreach project each year whose focus will (might?) change from year to year.  I think that Yogi's birthday would be a good time to articulate a new focus.  It could be a good opportunity to talk about what we care about as a family and how we could make a contribution.  Maybe one year it's birds and the next year it's AIDS research.  Who knows?  I can't wait to find out.

It's unrelated, but I can't resist a recent bath time picture of the little Lion.

4 comments:

My birthday is in February too! Oh, and have I mentioned how beautiful your little guy's eyes are? :)

That kid has the bluest eyes ever- they always grab me.

I'm with you- it should be a birth month celebration instead of a birth day ;-) I love the 'create your own menu' idea for your child. Maybe we'll steal that idea.

what a great picture of smiling yogi!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More