Monday, August 15, 2011

And Then the Party was Over



It started when both of the other Moms bailed on our pool play date this morning.  The ones who had the pool memberships.  I found this out AFTER slathering Yogi with sunscreen and BEFORE attempting a rescue park visit during which he started rubbing at his eyes and being ravaged by the pain of sunscreen, which turned out to be largely unnecessary.

I made the first serious go at substituting the sippy cup for the bottle this afternoon and that too was a no go.  The only thing I changed was the sippy cup.  I filled the cup with warm milk, held him in my lap and withstood the frustration.  I tried remaining calm and comforting while he flailed and pushed the cup and threw his head back dramatically and generally would.not.have.it.  I even got a sippy cup of my own, filled it with regular milk and sipped with enthusiasm.  We even did cheers a few times.  Not funny.  So, he didn't get milk.  He had eaten well the rest of the day and would be getting milk in a few short hours, so I decided it would be better to just hold out and not pour the milk in a bottle.  No sippy cup, no milk.

I continued to offer the cup throughout the rest of the afternoon, but he wouldn't do it.  Instead, he just whined.  He was so whiny and so clingy that I actually had to cook dinner while wearing him in the Ergo.  It's been a long time since that's happened.  My plan is to do regular bottles in the morning and present the sippy cup milk again in the afternoon.  Does this seem reasonable.  Any ideas?  Tips?  Cross your fingers for us....

5 comments:

You'd be amazed how often parents seek out my advice for this exact topic!!! Unfortunately, the best way to transition from bottle to sippy cup (assuming you are trying to wipe out bottles all together?) is to just get rid of them. It's too confusing to kids to do the back and forth and even hiding them "in the way-up-high-kitchen-cupboard" still lets them know that they are IN the house. I've had parents of my kids go as far as tossing the bottles into the trash (and one even had her son help her do it!) and then taking that trash bag to the curb on trash day and they WAVED to the babas as the garbage people took them away.

Your idea of "no sippy cup, no milk" is right on track. Of course, everyone has their opinion...this one is just mine :) Good luck! It might take a few days, but he will get the hang of it!

PS He is SO stinkin' cute!!!!

I'm all about the tough love approach (no sippy, no milk), but (and this has probably been mentioned before, perhaps by me) does he drink from a straw? Straw cups were the solution for us.

What you're saying makes sense. I guess I'll have to decide what day will be cold turkey day. :( Yikes!

We got a few cups with straws after an earlier comment that you made and that is the only kind that he actually drinks from. He's not really excited about it, but he is capable of drinking water with the straw cups.

Curly really just lacked coordination with the sippies and got so frustrated. At this point, he can pretty much figure out any cup, but definitely still prefers straws.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More