Friday, December 2, 2011

Home

It's a lovely word.  

After two separate trips, we are finally home.  We spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my wife's family and in the middle of the night on Sunday I packed Yogi in his car seat and we made the drive to my parent's house, arriving in time for milk and coffee.  Now, after more than a week of travel we're home and settling back into our comfortable grooves.  

Yogi seemed to really enjoy the trips and he continues to be a happy little traveler.  He loved exploring new places and always having someone to smile at.  The fact that none of the cupboards were baby-proofed anywhere we went was an extra special bonus.  He spent much of his Thanksgiving taking cans out of the cupboard, stacking them and then putting them back.  Big fun.

As if we didn't have enough to be grateful for during Thanksgiving, my Dad's doctor called with the news that his bone marrow biopsy came back clean!  After 6 rounds of chemo, he is in remission and I couldn't be more thrilled.  Unfortunately the chemo has ravaged his immune system and his white blood cell count is dangerously low, but this is not uncommon and the doctor assures him that it will rebound after a few weeks of shots.  My understanding is that when the battery of shots is over (assuming his count comes back to the normal range), he will be done.  There will be follow-up of course, but for now at least it will be behind us. 

It's been pretty quiet around here lately, but I'm (as I think I might have mentioned) home now and so glad to be back!

5 comments:

Welcome home and what good news about your dad!

I'm so happy to read this post, and I'm THRILLED for your family with this news about your dad. I hadn't realized how much joy I was getting from your near-daily updates until they went away for awhile! Welcome home. :) R.

Congratulations to you and your family! My reply is actually in response to your entire blog. I've spent the better part of the day reading it. My partner and I are just beginning our first IVF cycle:) We've been trying for over a year through IUIs, but are excited to start this process. Your blog has been a breath of fresh air. We have a new found optimism about our current situation. I know we are all different and we just happen to be on a longer track!
I look forward to reading more about your story!
THANKS!

Thanks guys! It's good to be back. ;)

kborden3 - I'm so glad you commented! I know how overwhelming IVF can be, but I'm glad to hear that you are feeling optimistic. That's important I think. Do you and your partner have a blog?

Nope. No blog. I just read as much as I can from as many sites as I can. When we were doing all the IUIs, I was reading to find advice as to what we could do to boost our chance. Didn't work out, but still looking:)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More