Thursday, March 8, 2012

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl by Stephanie McAfee



Have you ever been a part of a book club? 


I've been in more than I can count. I have something of a book club problem if truth be told. But one of the things I like the most about book clubs is the opportunity to read something that I would never have picked up on my own.  I am something of a persnickety reader.  Maybe even a snooty reader. So I need a nudge every now and then to get me out of my comfort zone.


This month's BlogHer selection, Diary of a Mad Fat Girl* by Stephanie McAfee, definitely fit that bill. If you're looking for a story that is fast-paced, hilarious and requires absolutely nothing from you as a reader then you should add this to your list. We get the story first person through the voice of Ace who is every bit as hilarious as everyone who has reviewed this book says she is. Diary of a Mad Fat Girl wasn't my thing, but it was a fun read. 


I can't keep myself from adding that I had a problem with the title. It was clear that the girl was mad and that she was a girl, but was she fat? There was definitely reference to the fact that she had put on a few post break-up pounds, but if we are to believe that that is her tail on the cover, I call foul on the F word. 

If you've read the book and want to join the conversation, head over to BlogHer for discussions and more information about the book and the author.



* I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions are my own.

3 comments:

I've read (or should I say I tried to finish reading several times) another one of Stephanie McAfee's books and couldn't. It was just a constant blabbering of negative body image babble and it ate at my food-loving nutrition-degree touting soul. It is sadly such a "normal" story, though.

~Tater

I felt the very same way about this book! I love the story behind it's publication (e-publishing success that lead to traditional publishing), but I just couldn't get behind the spirit of the whole thing.

Do you take special requests? It's J's first day back at work and the boy is both congested and still fighting an allergy to something we haven't identified yet. :( Rough day for the whole family. Then I found myself wishing you'd post one of your funny and sweet Yogi stories. Or really anything at all, as long as it's your comforting voice. If you don't have time soon, no worries, but I thought I'd ask. R.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More