This is what happens when your Mama takes you to Easter Egg hunt with out an Easter basket.
Almost 35 weeks. This feels like two weeks until Monkey for us. TWO WEEKS!
There is no way to know whether Monkey will be a 37 weeker like her big brother, but it's certainly possible. And if it's possible then we should be ready for it, don't you think?
Since the "OH SH*&T this baby is actually coming!"bomb that exploded in the center of this family (and the house actually) at around 32 weeks, we've snapped right into shape. Here's what we've put in motion since then:
- We hired a doula (although we're currently going back and forth about whether we want or need this assistance*).
- We prepared a birth plan.
- We decided who our "Yikes the grandparents can't get in town fast enough" Yogi back-up will be.
- We've read helpful books - thanks to many of you for great suggestions! (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Simpkin's The Birth Partner and Tracy Hogg's Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers - more on this later)
- We've added an entire bedroom and painted it a color that no one actually liked once it had been put on the walls. Oh well. Can't win them all.
- We've bought a comfy chair for that bedroom.
- We've got a lovely, old-fashioned (but comfortable) looking cradle set up in our room.
- We brought all of the newborn clothes and supplies down from the attic and stocked Monkey's closet.
- We've developed a Yogi Meets Monkey plan that feels right for everyone.
- We've done a MAJOR Spring cleaning/purge/Goodwill and Habitat donations. Nothing like a nesting pregnant woman with more than a few OCD tendencies to whip your house right into shape.
Monkey, we're ready to meet you!!!!
* I'd like to write about this in more detail, but the short version is that we hired a doula during the explosion when I was feeling entirely ill-prepared for the birth. I was concerned that I hadn't really prepared myself (informationally or emotionally) to be a solid birth partner in light of what I thought was going to be another c-section and I desperately wanted back-up. Now that I've done my thing and worked it out in my head I am eager for this labor to get going. I'm feeling prepared (as much as you can really be) and even excited about the experience. I'm not sure where a doula fits in as we are both entirely comfortable with and confident about our OB (she delivered Yogi) and I'm feeling confident. If we decide not to use her we need to tell her ASAP (of course), so we've got to make this decision. Anyone have thoughts?