Friday, September 25, 2009

Slow & Steady

This AM we had our 4th u/s appt.  The ovaries appear to be chugging along and the follicles are growing.  Our cycle is (once again) taking longer than the "typical" timeline they gave us at the outset, but slow and steady wins the race, right?  We knew we might have to do it, but today we officially made the decision to cancel our trip to Texas next week for Austin City Limits.  It's a bummer, but babymaking is priority 1 right now.  Our next u/s appt is Monday and we will know more then,  but retrieval is likely to be Wednesday or Thursday of next week.

We also initiated the name change process this week.  We have a family lawyer friend who is helping us out and that is great.  She posted our notices at the courthouse today and in 10 days she will petition the court for our change.  Let's hope all goes smoothly.  I'm glad we've got this ball rolling, but I'm wondering how this will play out at work.  Although no one at school knows this yet, I will be leaving this job in May.  For that reason, I would really rather not go through all the name change rigamarole bc it will be a pain.  I teach and so if am Dr. Somebody Else when it's time to register next semester, my students will be all confused and that will be a pain.  If all goes as planned and we get the official government issued name change document sometime in October, can I stick with my old name for 7 more months?  Does anybody know about this?  I know this kind of thing varies by state, but thoughts/ideas welcomed.

2 comments:

It is perfectly legal to use an assumed name and, therefore, use your current name. But you could also assume a hyphenated name for class purposes so your new name becomes recognized as well. Half of my stuff still has my former last name and no one has hauled me off to jail yet.

Good call on canceling the trip. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go!

I second that emotion. You can sit on your court ordered name change until the cows come home. What's more, you can get your new social security card, your new license, change all your credit and debit cards, and write your new name on the tags of all your underwear and never tell your job. I have been able to do all sorts of things with conflicting names at the bank because all that matters to them are the account numbers, really. Actually, I think youre right on schedule. You've given yourself enough time to get all that done before you show up in your new town. You should ask your lawyer friend, though, if she can think of any interesting, unforeseen, unlikely circumstances to contradict all that. Lawyers have a knack for that sort of thing ;}

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More