Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Repeat Play


It is very loud at my house these days.  It is impossible to get a word in when Yogi is around and of course, Yogi is always around.  He is either babbling or chanting one word over and over and over and over.  That word is either something he wants right.this.minute:
Crack-a (Graham Cracker)
Milk
Ga-Ga (Water - I have no idea how this developed)
Choo-Choo
or a word that he’s picked out of whatever you just said.  If I say “Let’s go downstairs and let Baker out”, he says “Bak-a, Bak-a” for the next twenty minutes.  This is only a slight exaggeration.
Most of the time it’s adorable, but sometimes it feels like a punishment for my own abuse of the repeat play function.  I’m one of those people who falls in love with a book/song/movie and wants to read/listen/watch it over and over.  And over.  My freshman college room mate threatened to break my Counting Crows CD into a million pieces after one too many Anna Begins.  
So, I understand the impulse.  When you’re really into something it’s hard not to just turn it over and over in your hands. But sometimes it’s also nice to have a little quiet time.  Just a little.

6 comments:

I love this stage. The words that come out of their mouths! RR is also an excellent mimic and so we've taken great joy in teaching her all sorts of words with hand motions - for example, a ultra-theatrical "oh boy" complete with hands on cheeks. I know we're going to regret this but so. much. fun.

Do you speak Spanish or does he hear the language anywhere? "Ga-ga" sounds a lot like aqua- Spanish for water.

We feel your pain on this one! Firstly, there is never quiet time around here. Ever (at least not while the kids are awake). And then, obvs our kids are past the word-repetition stage, but what they ARE hooked on is the same books/movies/games over and over and over again. They will watch the same movie on repeat for WEEKS. When they want to play a game, it's always the same one. Change would be nice, kids!

No Spanish around here. Maybe in his last life....??? ;)

WHO doesn't love some great, on-repeat COUNTING CROWS!?!?

Yogi is too cute! My gf and I enjoy reading your blog.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More